Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Night Out With the Professor

Today, for the first time all semester, I was engaged in my Argentine society class and felt the need to participate.  The following reasons demonstrate that I did in fact pay attention in class:
1. I didn't stare out the window, which offers a great view of Buenos Aires (we're on the 10th floor).
2. I didn't check my phone every 5 minutes for the time
3. I didn't attempt to improve my doodling skills
4. I didn't space out and think about anything great that's happened in my life ( or at least nothing that comes to mind now)
5. I didn't stare at the hott French girls that sit in the back of the class
6. I didn't think about what I was going to eat for dinner

In any case, we learned about the Military Dictatorship that ruled Argentina from the mid 1970's until the early 1980's.  They came to power through a violent revolt/overthrow of the previous government.  As in many other countries, especially in Latin America over time, they eliminated freedom of speech, repressing politicians, union members, students and intellectuals suspected of speaking out against the government. 
Some tactics the government used at the time:
- Suspension of all civil rights
- Dismissed the Supreme Court
- Men had to cut their hair and shave their beards
- Burning of books
- All modes of communication censored
If the government suspected someone, they would send a group of people to kidnap the "culprit," bring him/her to a secret place and torture him/her.  Sometimes, they would kill them and then dump their bodies into the rivers. 

I'm sorry to get depressing and graphic but I finally learned something interesting in class, or at least something that drew my attention, so I wanted to share it. 

Anyway, on Monday night, a few ppl from my Tango class went out with my professor for his birthday.  We went to this historic restaurant near downtown.  In addition to some of the students from class, his girlfriend, some of his friends, and many of his past and present students (not affiliated with the university) attended.  My professor is a well known guy in the Tango world- he performs twice a week at a historic place called Cafe Tortoni- I have yet to see him but I hope to before I leave. 
So for the birthday party, the restaurant set out an all you can eat buffet, one featuring a parilla (a huge grill with different kinds of meat), ham, milanesas (breaded meats), and an array of shellfish, salads, and pastas.  It looked delicious, but I'm sure nothing beat my bottle of water and fruit, however.  At the table I was chatting away with some older Argentine students, talking to them about the country and sports.  It turned out that the couple next to me were huge football fans- they were blurting out names such as Manning, Brady, and Adrian Peterson- I was very impressed.  So after talking some football, they invited a couple other guys from the class and me to their house - too bad it's not football season.  In addition to some sports talk, the night featured a friend with a guitar, who sang both classic Argenine and American songs.  When the time came for it, people got up to dance the Tango.  A real authentic Argentine night- tons of meat, Tango dancing, singing, and chatting away with the locals. 

Check out my professor on youtube:


Hasta la proxima vez- until next time

Ariel

No comments:

Post a Comment